Ballyhackamore Credit Union’s loan book is open!
At Ballyhackamore Credit Union we encourage you to manage your money carefully by structuring loans around your needs and your ability to repay.
Members can borrow for productive purposes such as a new car, a holiday, home improvements, debt consolidaton, general expenses. The list is endless! Try our loan calculator below for a quote.
Loans are available only to members over the age of 18.
There are three types of loans available:
- Covered by Savings. These loans are secured against the amount you have in your shares, and are available immediately, ‘over the counter’. NO FORMS NEED TO BE FILLED-IN.
- Unsecured Loans. Loans which are higher than the amount of your shares. These loans are assessed by our loans committee, who meet weekly to consider applications. For a loan of this type, please download a Loan Application form here which will be available soon. It is important that the form is completed fully and accurately.
- 'Instant’ Loan’. No regular savings required. Available to new members. Maximum loan is £500
- Members should note that ALL loans are secured by the amount which you have in shares.
Click on any section below to expand view
To apply for a loan you must be a member of Ballyhackamore Credit Union.
- For a loan which is more than your shares, an application form must be completed carefully and in full.
The completed form must be handed-in before 11.30am on a Saturday.
- When you hand-in your form, you will be asked to make an appointment to collect your loan. Payment may also be made directly to your bank account.
If you are registered for our on-line services, you may apply for a loan on-line, once you have logged-in to your account.
If you are not yet registered for on-line access, please click here for more information.
- Some loan applications are assessed by the Credit Committee on a Monday.
- Possible outcomes for a loan application are: loan application approved, loan application amount reduced, loan application deferred for more information, or loan application rejected.
- You may download a Loan application form here (sorry, will be available soon)
Loans are subject to approval. Terms & Conditions Apply
- You can borrow up to the amount you have in savings.
- These loans can be approved and paid immediately by Loan Officers who have been appointed by the Board of Directors. You do not have to wait for your loan application to be reviewed by the Credit Committee. You can walk away with your cheque/cash (depending on amount) when your loan is approved. NO FORMS NECESSARY.
- This type of loan is not considered to be your ‘first’ loan.
- Before applying for this type of loan you must save regularly for a period between 8 and 13 weeks.
- You need to carefully complete a loan application form and hand it to a member of counter staff. The cut-off time is 11.30am on Saturday. You will be asked to make an appointment for loan collection. For a first unsecured loan, 3 months' bank statements will be required with your loan application.
|Type of Loan||Loan Details|
|First Loan(unsecured) if you have saved for 13 weeks||You can borrow up to twice the amount of your shares.
You cannot borrow more than £2,000 above the value of your shares.
|First loan (unsecured) if you have saved for 8 weeks||You can borrow up to one and a half times your shares.
You cannot borrow more than £1,500 above the value of your shares.
|Second Loan(unsecured)||You can normally borrow up to three times your shares. The loan may be ‘topped-up’ if the outstanding balance is reducing well.
You cannot borrow more than £5,000 above the value of your shares e.g.
|Third, and subsequent loans||You can normally borrow up to four times your shares. The loan may be ‘topped-up’ if the outstanding balance is reducing well.
You cannot borrow more than £15,000 above the value of your shares
The maximum loan available is £20,000
- No regular saving is required.
- Maximum Loan is £500.
- Affordability to repay must be demonstrated on the loan application form.
- Maximum loan term is 12 months. Standing order must be set up for repayments.
- Loan subject to a satisfactory credit check.
Terms and conditions apply.
- There are no hidden fees or transaction charges
- Our interest rates are fair and reasonable compared to others in the market
- Repayments are calculated on your reducing balance, so you pay less interest with each repayment
- Your credit union loan is insured – subject to terms and conditions – at no direct cost to you. Other lenders charge for this. Check out our Insurance page.
- You can pay off your loan early, make additional lump sum repayments or increase your regular repayments, without a penalty. Other lenders may charge you for repaying in a shorter timeframe!
- Loan interest rebate from surplus income
- The maximum borrowing available per member is £12,500.00 plus shares. (Subject to approval)
There are several ways in which payments can be made to your account. These include paying at the counter by cash or debit card and standing order from your bank account. If you are unable to get into the office payment can be made over the phone by debit card.
* All figures given on this web site are for your general information only, and give a rough guide to loan repayments. Any statements on this web site do not purport to be authoritative or legally binding. Whilst every care has been made in the production of this information, it is for illustrative purposes only and to give you an overview of the potential cost of borrowing at Ballyhackamore Credit Union. It does not constitute a loan offer.
This document is for illustrative purposes only, so as to give you, the borrower, an overview of the potential cost of borrowing and does not constitute an offer of finance or repayments.
Each member’s account is unique and our loan officers will look at your savings record, income and outgoings, other borrowings and overall ability to repay your loan when assessing your loan application.
There are a number of ways you can repay your loan:
- Set up a Standing Order from your bank account. You may download a standing order form here. Or, a standing order amendment form standing-order-amendment-form
- At the Credit Union using cash, cheque or your Debit card.
- By phone using a Debit card* When making a debit card payment over the phone, the cardholder must be present to authorise the payment.
* This service is not available for Credit cards
Check out our Loan Calculator to calculate how much your loan repayments will be.
Valid photographic Identification is required when collecting any loan. In addition, current proof of address (dated within last 3 months), is required when collecting an unsecured loan (loan more than shares).
Most loans are processed and granted on a weekly basis. However, you should apply for your loan at least TWO WEEKS in advance of when you will need the loan.
For loans which are greater than your share balance, please download an application form
It is important that the form is completed fully and accurately.
When collecting your loan, you MUST have photographic ID and proof of address (dated within the last 3 months).
THIS REQUIREMENT WILL BE STRICTLY APPLIED
NOTE: Failure to maintain repayments as per your loan agreement may affect future loans.
When repaying your loan you should continue to save regularly.