Ballyhackamore Credit Union was established in 1967 with help from Derry Credit Union.
The motivating force was Father PJ O’Hare of St Colmcille’s church. The first Board meeting held in March 1967 consisted of Jerome Dawson, Val McMurray, Jimmy O’Reilly, Myles McCormick, Jackie Brown, Tom Fleming, Brendan Small and Paddy O’Kane.
Early business was conducted in St Colmcille’s Parochial Hall and in 1969 moved to newly acquired premises at 173 Upper Newtownards Road.
In 2002 new premises were opened at 171-173 Upper Newtownards Road. Membership has grown steadily over the years and continues to do so.
IN 2017 WE CELEBRATED 50 YEARS OF BALLYHACKAMORE CREDIT UNION!
Ballyhackamore Credit Union is a local, not for profit financial organisation specialising in providing a safe place for savings and loans in our community. We offer members the chance to have control over their own finances by making their savings work for them and also to provide them with fair and affordable loans.
Credit unions exist only to serve their members- not to profit from them.
At the end of the year, any surplus is returned to our members by way of a dividend and, where possible, a rebate on loan interest payments
Why not become a member today – Please call in, ring us or click here.
The Credit Union Difference
- Each credit union is an independent, ‘not-for-profit’ organisation that exists solely for the benefit of its members, not stock markets. Decisions are therefore made at a local level.
- No matter how much you have saved, all members aged 16 or over, have equal voting rights on issues affecting their credit union.
- We offer members the chance to have control over their own finances by making their own savings work for them. Ballyhackamore Credit Union is owned by the members — the people who save and borrow with it — people like you.
- When you become a member and start saving with Ballyhackamore Credit Union you will have access to fair and reasonable rates on savings and loans.
- Your savings contribute to your credit union’s loan fund. So your savings are helping other members. Members like you.
- Ballyhackamore Credit Union exists only to serve its members — not to profit from their needs. Surplus income generated is returned to members by way of a dividend and/or is directed to improved or additional services required by the members.
What Services Does Our Credit Union Offer?
We provide important financial services to our local community in a variety of ways.
We provide various loan types such as personal loans and car loans to our members. All profits are used to fund loans for other members.
Most of our members choose to save with our credit union through means such as a monthly direct debit.
We offer supporting services such as insurance to our members.
Nomination of Account
Our members are entitled to nominate a person to receive their savings in the event of their debt. This is done at no extra cost to the member.
Get In Touch
Please get in touch with us below if you have any queries, wish to become a member or have a loan enquiry which we can assist you with.